Saturday, March 09, 2013

The Godfather ( a post I forgot to post years ago... and my Godson is not so little anymore)

My friends at work have been caling me "Sean Corleone" all week. I can say the last thing I ever thought I would be in my lifetime is a godfather. When Nova asked me I was quite shocked and not sure what to say. My first thought was, "I'm not Catholic". But I said yes because I've been friends with her family for a very long time and I know she picked me cuz she trusts me more than any guy on the planet. "Ok, cool, btw Sean, you have to attend a class first". I have to what? Oh, good grief. It was an hour class that could have easily been summed up in five minutes. And I was tempted to speak out, but I promised Patty I'd hold my tongue.

So all last week Patty is asking me,"what are you going to wear to the baptism?" It's a baptism, not a marriage, cloths, jeans, t-shirt the usual. "You can't wear that. Call Nova and ask her what she wants you to wear. It's Catholic. Their pompous." I think I was told to call Nova at least a dozen times. Well, Nova called me Friday night,"What are you wearing tomorrow?" I don't know yet. "Well, a suit would be nice, but business casual will do". Later Nova told me, "I knew if I didn't call you, you would show up in shorts and t-shirt or something."

So, I pulled my suit out of the closet. My wife thanked Nova later. It's the first time she's seen me all dressed up since we got married.

The priest was nice. He liked to joke alot. Surprisingly I found myself in agreement with alot of what he had to say about baptism. At least the Catholic church still gets something right. Never mind the prayer to Mother Mary I read that makes her sound Holier than Jesus himself. I think they forgetten that she was human too. He also talked about raising your children with Christian values and how it takes more than sending them to church on sunday and Catholic School, but Christlike examples at home. He did a good job of expediting the process (there were seven baptisms).

The ceremony itself was a bit much. Too many robotic responses expected from the croud for me. "Would one of the godparents please come forward to light the candle, prefferable the taller one." That was me by BTW. This candle they had was just ridiculously tall. I'm pretty tall and I have monkey arms, but I could barely reach the top of this thing to light the candle. Where is big Billy Austin when I need him? I had to light the candle over and over again cuz everyone else was too short to reach. I wonder what they would have done if I wasn't there. "hey man, can I get on your shoulders?" LMAO. That would have been a beautiful addition to the ceremony.

Then off course there was picture taking. Evidence of me dressed up once again. Horrible!

The party afterwords was nice. We met at the godmother's, father's home in Tujunga. All I can say is, wow. I'd like to live there. From then on it was food champagne and corona's and lots of friendly chatter. We were so stuffed from the appetizers we didn't even bother to cook the lasagna.

All in all, it was a good day.

No comments: