Sunday, January 10, 2021

2020 ~ A test of faith

Last year began with our government in the middle of an impeachment of our President.  An event that can be counted on one hand in terms of historical occurrences.  No one could have imagined that this would be the most normal thing to happen in 2020. 

 

The remainder of 2020 was dominated by two things.  Covid 19 and mass unrest in the name BLM and racial injustice.  It’s hard to say which of the two was more divisive.  But both had huge and lasting impacts on our nation.  There is no way to measure the economic, social and political devastation of 2020.  Lives have been destroyed, businesses collapsed, infrastructures decimated.  And as the nation grew apart, information became impossible to obtain or verify true.  Desperation came to countless numbers as loss became commonplace.  

 

2020 was clearly the year of disinformation indoctrination.  And the masses took a stand on one side of the other swallowing whole without questions the ‘facts’ as presented by their side.  The opposing side was viewed as ignorant, hateful, unpatriotic, unsympathetic and evil.  The level of hatred from both sides reached levels I’ve never seen before.  

 

Now as a right leaning libertarian there is very little from the left that I’ve ever supported.  And there is much on the right that I don’t support as well.  That has historically been a stable political perspective for me because the DNC and GOP were never really that different.  It was easy to disdain both of them.  But today, for the first time in my recollection in my life, they truly are very different parties (at least at the Federal level).  It’s a bit shocking to see such a strong contrast between them.  But what has become clear is the corruption of our government and the absolute lack of morality and care for the common American.  Power at any cost has been the clear mantra of 2020.  And unlike in the past, the dirty politics of our nation were on full display via social media and supported by the right and left media, which are no longer represent objective journalism, but are just a extensions of the political arms of the right and left.  This brought the bulk of America into the political world for probably the first time ever (historically most American’s are oblivious to politics).  This also drove both sides to spin the information in their favor with wanton disregard for truth or objectivity.   Thus, the disinformation indoctrination of America was like a hurricane that lasted for the whole year.  

 

In the middle of a nation in chaos, I joined the rapidly growing ranks of the unemployed for the first time in 12 years and 2 days.  You would think this would have been devastating.  But the truth is it’s the best thing to happen to me in years.  

 

As a Christian I believe in the providence of God.  Knowing that He is in control and that He is a good and loving God, I know He has a good plan for me.  This has been a huge comfort in what otherwise could be viewed as a horrible time.  

 

For the first time in almost 17 years, I felt at rest.  I didn’t have the weight of the insanity of corporate leadership tying my hands while asking me to build the taj majal in two days.  Then getting mad at me when I couldn’t do it.  And I knew this was where God wanted me.  

 

But I did suddenly have my eyes opened to other parts of my life that had been lacking.  Time with my wife, time with my kids, physical exercise, time in God’s Word, time with my neighbors, time with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, and time with my extended family.  All things which I had been neglecting in my focus on my career.  And it is in these things which I’ve been truly blessed in 2020.

 

I’ve spent so much time with my wife, I’m certain she can’t wait to ship me off to any job that will give her some space.  I’ve taken my children kayaking, hiking, biking, boating, ect.  I’ve taking a direct role in their education, taking over their study of science.  I’ve begun exercising for the first time in years (and man, this middle-aged guy is out of shape).  I’ve reengaged the Word of God and am being pleasantly fed by said Word in ways I know I have needed and neglected.  I’ve spent countless hours with neighbors, turning our little cul-de-sac into a commune of people who I can rely on and trust.  And even among the isolation of CVD I’ve managed to connect with many of my Christian brother and sister as well as family members I’ve had trouble staying connected too since moving to Michigan.  

 

It’s been a drastic redirection of my priorities.  I know I can no longer put aside any of those things for ‘later’, but must keep them all at the forefront of my life.  

 

As I venture into 2021 I do so not knowing what is in store for me.  The uncertainty of my nation, my career, my financial stability are all before me.  But this I know.  What I gained in 2020 is beyond value and I need to cling to it.  God blessed me with an amazing life here in Michigan.  A life which I feel I’m only now beginning to appreciate.  And as I pursue my financial / career future I know I don’t want to do so at the cost of what I have gained.  

 

And as my financial uncertainty lingers, I find myself more and more holding to the hope found in God’s providence over my life.  Because there are definitely times of anxiety the longer the uncertainty lasts.  Which isn’t to say there are no signs of hope and opportunity, but the realization of those signs is yet to come.  

 

I had become comfortable in my own ability to keep my head above water.  But this year has reminded that all I have is from God and it is in Him alone that I should place my hope for the future.  Which is really hard to do when you still have a wife, three kids and a mortgage looming over your proverbial shoulders.  I want to know that I’m in control and that I’ve got the plan that is going to keep us afloat and moving forward.  But over the last 8 months it has become clear to me that my best laid plans are just that, plans.  It is God who leads and God who gives and God who provides.  It’s humbling to acknowledge that; to trust in that; to hold to hope, not in myself, but in my Lord.  

 

But this year has also helped me to put trust in God for my nation.  Being a political junky I’ve often focused on our political system and pursued directions I felt we should go.  2020 definitely was no exception.  But as I’ve watched our nation divide and spiral into binary chaos, knowing that nothing I think should happen is happening, I find I must trust this also to God.  Don’t get me wrong, I am very anxious for what our nation is yet to face.  I am fairly confident 2021 is staged for just as much (if not more) chaos than 2020.  Our nation is divided beyond a level it can ever be repaired in my opinion.  And when you have to forces as angry and polar opposite as the left and right are today, you can be certain there will be a spark that ignites the tinder box.  I am not looking forward to 2021.  Yet I am confident that God has a good path forward.  This may mean worse things for our nation than we’ve already seen.  But God works through the chaos of life for His own good purpose.  

 

In my life both internal and external, 2020 was a year of growth and faith.  It was a year of sorrow and joy.  A year of desperation and hope.  As the Union I was born into moves in chaos, I’ve been blessed to no longer dwell in a major city or place of turmoil, but in a quiet little village, in a private little cul-de-sac surrounded by family, friends, neighbors and Godly wisdom.  With an amazing little church full of amazingly loving believers who share their lives and fellowship with me. I give praise and thanks to God for bringing me to this place at this time.  And while I have anxiety regarding my career and future, I trust that God who is faithful will continue to provide.  

 

I started writing this thinking I would expound on my fears for our nation under the foreseeable leadership in the foreseeable years.  But instead, I have been reminded of God and his providence in all we face.  My fears are still there.  I fully expect the worst of them to come to fruition.  And I pray for God’s sustaining hand in weathering whatever storms are coming our way.  

 

So hang on because “This is all far from over…” (name the movie bro).

No comments: