Sunday, February 19, 2012

Survival Training... it's easier than most people think.

Survival.  As a single guy I never much worried about survival.  I rolled with the punches and lived the nomadic life never much caring where I ended up.  I remember sleeping in my car on more than one occasion, waking up through the night to run the engine long enough to bring some heat back to my bones. 

When I was young I was a boy scout.  I had a great leader who taught me some really great skills.  The problem is I grew up and never used any of them.

For the last 8 years I've been wrapped up in Urban Survival trying to keep my head above water, a roof over my families head and food on our table.  In doing so I have further removed myself from the knowledge I once possessed. 

Now I'm actively engaged in a "Survival" course hosted by the same great boy scout leader.  It's a much different experience this time round as I am re-learning with the knowledge of how bad it can get.  My wife is going through this journey with me as we both learn basic skills needed to survive when the benefits of modern day are gone. 

Now this may come from the collapse of our fragile economy or some natural disaster, or simple our car breaks down in the middle of nowhere.  But, the goal is to "Be Prepared".  You never know when the worst will come. 

As we've gone through this course I've been vividly reminded of how unprepared we are.  Good practices which I've known, I haven't followed in years. 

I hope I never have to use anything I'm re-learning, but I'm glad I'm taking the time to do so. 

Survival goals:
- Learn more about the plants of the wilderness
- Spend time camping with the family to practice and learn basic techniques: Starting Fires, building shelters, gathering food, fishing, ect
- Put together and keep at the ready a basic survival kit
- Practice wood widling and net making and trap making so they become second nature
- Ensure my family is trained to survive with or without me
- keep a ready supply of h2o..  you can never have too much water
- take up and practice the art of repelling.. to overcome my fears and to have the know how to use it when needed
- buy a gun (many guns actually) and retrain myself in their safe and effective use.  I plan to waste as much ammo as I can afford. 

I'm sure this list will grow and be more detailed.  this is just the kick-off list.  Some may call me paranoid, but just last year my friends brother went missing in Yosemite and was never heard from again.  The SHTF scenario can happen at anytime to anyone just about anywhere.  Best to be as prepared as you can.  Not to mention, this stuff is fun.  So if you can have fun while preparing for the worst, why not.

No comments: